Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Dance Rabbi, Dance!"

Ok, I couldn't help myself with the title. We watched "Fiddler on the Roof" tonight and it was just to great.

For the first time since I came to Thailand I didn't set my alarm, so when I woke up and saw that my clock said 10am I didn't really believe it, like I honestly thought my clock had broken. It was such a good feeling to sleep in and it set the pace for a REALLY lazy day.

So what did I do today besides watch "Fiddler on the Roof?" I watched 8 episodes of the Amazing Race on utube and painted a picture. I went to the stationary store at the mall last night and not only did I get my embroidery needles (see the last post if you have no idea what I'm talking about), I also got a set of acrylic paints and a blank canvas. I've wanted to paint for so long now and it felt to get it out. It was the first time I've used acrylic paints too, and I must say I'm not going back. They're awesome.

This painting, as a test round, was just something fun inspired by my nice little (lol) trek in the Himalayas. I'm wearing my took (the wool nepali earflap hat) and Ama Dablam, my favorite Mountain is there in the background. I'm going to have to go get some more canvases and start painting, but how will I ever get them all back to America???? Dilemma Dilemma.....



Yesterday we had our Thai/Farang staff Christmas party, which because of the language barrier was an awkward dinner sitting around in a circle capped off by the most entertaining round of White Elephant/ Dirty Santa. Out of about 40 I went 16th to pic my gift. The original gift I unwrapped was a really nice set of Winnie the Pooh towels ( most of the Thai staff didn't really understand the concept of White Elephant), but I didn't get to hold onto it very long, it was a hot commodity and soon stolen so I ended up with the most awesome pig lamp every. I think I'm going to put it in our kitchen. I had to take a picture of it here lit up in all it's glory.



My gift was a keychain/business card set I'd gotten from a students for my birthday. It was really nice just not my style, and go figure it was the first thing opened and the first thing stolen, but honestly who could resist this wrapping job???



They don't really have Christmas wrap here so I just took some old newspaper leftover from classroom decorating and then made the flower to go on top. For being whipped out in less then 5 minutes I was pretty proud.

Now that I have my needles I can finally execute some scrapping visions I have. Maybe I'll be able to share them this week? It will be a busy one being the last week of school and having the christmas programs on friday and saturday. I can't wait for break!

No comments: