Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Worries and Woes of Fundraising

To put it simple I HATE fundraising.  I would rather climb Mount Everest with bare feet than fundraise.  When I committed to doing The World Race I knew that raising the money was going to be the biggest hurdle for me. Over the past six months I've fluctuated between a "wow this is awesome I shouldn't ever worry, it's much easier than I ever thought it would be" feeling to a "why did I ever think I can do this there's no way I'll ever be able to do this" feeling more times than I can count.
   The facts are this.  I have to raise $16,000 and right now, between fundraisers and donations I have
$5, 874.59.  My first thought when I see this is Wow! I've almost raised $6,000!  But then my immediate second thought is one of dread and worry because I still have so much farther to go.
   In case you don't remember what I'm fundraising for, in July I will be leaving on a unique 11 month mission trip visiting 11 countries, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Eastern Europe (x2), South Africa, Mozambique, Swaziland, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.  Most importantly it's NOT a vacation.  It will be a year lacking comfort.  We'll be living out of backpacks, sleeping in tents, showering in rivers and waking up sometimes before the sun comes up, not because it's what we love to do but because it's what we've been lead to do.  We want to initiate change in our world and help those who can't help themselves.  I have no idea what exact jobs we'll be doing or what people we'll work with but from what current and past groups have done, I'm pretty excited about the prospects.  Whether it's giving food to hungry children in Swaziland, helping construct a pipeline to bring water to a village in Ecuador, or teaching children in Cambodia, it's going to be 11 challenging months but 11 amazing months at the same time.
   Now here's the problem,  I can't go and help these people if I don't raise enough money.  I need $6,500 in my support account in order leave with my squad in July.  That's less than $700 from where I am now!  After that I will need $11,000 in my account by Sept. 21 and the full amount in my account by December 21.  Although there's 8 months until I need to have it all, the idea of how much farther I have to go still weighs heavily on me.  If I end up getting sent home because I can't raise the money I won't be able to feed the kids in Swaziland, or teach the ones in Cambodia, or befriend that 17 year old girl working as a prostitute in Thailand.  My heart cries for them and I desperately need to make it there.

   If you feel at all like you want to help fund this journey I would be grateful.  If you don't have $25, $50 or $100 to give that's NOT a problem.  I really mean it when I say every single $1 makes a difference.

If you want to make a donation you can do so by going here.  Don't worry, the site's secure and your donation is tax deductible (as well as life changing!).

 If you're at a point where you can't help financially, there's no shame in that.  Not long ago I was there myself.  But I want to thank you for reading this blog and I would encourage (as well as anyone else) to follow my World Race blog at amandadorough.theworldrace.org.  There's a place on the left hand side of the blog where you can sign up to get an email update each time I post.  No spam I promise!  While I'm on the World Race that is the blog I'll primarily be updating with pictures, videos and stories.

If you want to meet my squad mates and read their blogs you can find them here.

Thanks!

No comments: