Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A happy homecoming: RIP Dr. Falwell


Today Jerry Falwell finally went to visit Jesus. I will admit I thought Alyssa was joking around with me when she told me he was dead, but once I saw it on the news I could no longer deny it. Jerry was like a grandfather to all of us Liberty students. No matter who he offended or what political group he was getting involved with he was still the happy teddy bear of a man who sat in the front row at all university athletics and came to preach every Wednesday at convo. Graduation is definitely going to be really strange without him. I was actually really looking forward to my family getting to meet him. I'm going to miss his insistence on having a BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) and his insistence that every Liberty student should be at least dating if not married to another Liberty student by the time they graduate. I wonder what it will be like next year with no more Jerry convos or Jerry announcing that CFAW had once again broken a record. Every time I see a black Yukon I look to see of the license plate says LU 1 because that means Jerrys coming, but no longer will he drive around campus.
While this is a sad day in the fact that we will no longer be able to talk to Jerry or enjoy his company I know that he's now where he always wanted to be. Taking the ultimate vacation in the presence of the Lord. My prayers go out to his family and the rest of the community, that they would be comforted in this thought.

Rest in Peace Jerry :)

No comments: