Monday, August 27, 2007

I can't believe how time flies

It's really hard to believe that exactly a year ago I was starting out on a journey that would change my life forever. On August 27, 2006 The M.V. Explorer pulled out of port in Ensenada, Mexico to begin our 102 day journey around the world. The weirdest part is it feels like it was just yesterday, I can remember it so vividly. I had trouble sleeping the night before so I got up early and took a shower while Sarah and Malia slept. I was supposed to be on the last bus out of the sheraton but when I got there they put me on the shuttle before mine because there was room and that's where I met Jess, Erin, and Jennifer (Chelsea was there too but I ahd already met her at home). It's weird how some of the first people you meet you can feel such connections with. Since I was sitting next to Jess we talked the whole 2 hour bus ride from San Diego to Ensenada. We talked about our lives at home, our goals and what we planned on doing in each country. By the time we reached the ship everyone else was already there, well aquianted with the ship and some even got to walk around Ensenada. As we pulled out of the harbor around 5pm the sun was getting lower on the horizon and there were a group of seals barking goodbye from a nearby boey. And that's how my voyage of Discovery started out, exactly a year ago today.
It's kind of ironic that exactly a year since I elft for SAS, the experience that made me decide to become a photographer I would start my new job as a photographer. It was a long day and a long drive. An hour and a half there and almost two hours back. I wish the president would have picked another day to come to town. People just don't know what to do with themselves on the road so everything gets backed up. But anyway I was given the REAL crash course on everything and four pictures into it I was already taking all the pictures (there were 3 other photographers with their cameras there too though). So tommorow I'm going to be thrown to the wolves. I know how to take the pictures and print ASB cards now, but I have a feeling I'm going to forget everything else. I can't wait :)

Me, Izumi, Casey, Stephanie, Chelsea, Jess and Jennifer sitting at our table in the 5th deck dining room on Halloween 2006 right before the Semester at Sea Halloween Party.

No comments: